Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Thankful

I've been more reflective, lately.  Probably as a result of my slower-paced life.  Recently I've walked around with a list in my head of more things I'm thankful for.

-My husband.  He loves me and puts up with me.  I've been a bit flakey lately, not quite transitioning smoothly into my new life.  It's hard going from working full time to not working at all, from being a working mother to a stay at home mother.  It's been interesting to say the least.  He's listened to me, comforted me, and been there for me.  Some days he's the only adult interaction I've had.  I know it's probably harder for him, too, but he hasn't complained one bit.  He installed a new kitchen faucet and a shelf for our phone yesterday for me.  I know he would've preferred to enjoy his day off and be lazy, but he took care of both without complaint.


I think they both look nice, if not functional, though I think the faucet almost looks like a bizarre sculpture for our sink.  I'm not complaining, it doesn't leak like the other one.

 - My kids. Some days they drive me crazy, but I love them dearly.  I'm so proud of them too.  When we picked up Aric from his Sunday School class his teachers complimented us on how well behaved and obedient he was.  It warms my heart to hear that.  Aric is such a good kid and loves his sister.  Kellyn is a delight.  She is so happy.  Since staying home with her I've noticed how much more she laughs and smiles.

-My home warranty.  We lived in this house less than a month and already that thing has more than paid for itself.  I was able to get new dishwasher racks to replace the rusty, broken ones that were in the dishwasher.  (Those things aren't cheap.)  This morning I realized our heater wasn't working correctly and the house was getting colder.  I had no problem calling the warranty company and they sent someone out right away.  He fixed the problem and we're warm again!  That warranty takes away some of the ease and worry that has accompanied home ownership.

-Our dishwasher and central heat.  When working properly they are fabulous to have.  We just moved out of an old house that didn't have a dishwasher or central heat.  The dishwasher saves my hands, which are prone to severely drying out in the winter and saves me lots of time washing numerous sippy cups.  The heater keeps us warm and toasty (most days).  They are fabulous luxuries and I am enjoying them!

-All of you who have given advice and listened to my seemingly endless conversations about potty-training.  Aric is now potty-trained.  It has been a long time coming and he still has accidents, but it's so nice to have one mostly out of diapers.  I now only have to wash diapers every third day instead of every other day.  Of course, now it means more creative planning for bathroom breaks when we have excursions out of the house.  It's exciting, though, and makes me proud.

No comments: