Saturday, January 1, 2011

Small Things to be Thankful for

-Today I returned Aric's crib, purchased almost three years ago, to Target and received a full refund in store credit.  I'm not complaining one bit.  Aric is done with his crib, moved on to his big boy bed, and we were going to take his crib to the dump on Monday because the crib was recalled.  At least we were until I did some online research and discovered that his crib was recalled because it's a drop-side crib and because it has metal mattress supports.  We truly feel this was God's little gift to us since we were so close to throwing it out.

-Instead of working 80 hours over the last two weeks of December, I worked 28 hours, used up some leave time and took some leave without pay.  I was incredibly stressed trying to get the new house painted, the old house packed, still work and be a wife and mother.  I was failing miserably in all areas.  I talked with my superiors at work about my situation.  I didn't want to just quit and leave them in a bind and leave on a bad note, but I felt that I wasn't truly needed for most of the time I was scheduled to work.  I approached them about the situation and they made arrangements for me to work the three days that I was truly needed and have the rest of the time off.  It worked out perfectly since the kids were still in daycare for those last two weeks and it freed me up to accomplish much.

-We were offered the use of a horse trailer from some dear friends.  It has saved us so much and I'm not talking in just a monetary sense.  We have been able to load it and haul it when it was most convenient to us instead of renting a truck, moving everything in one hurried day and then dealing with trying to return the truck.  When we were first discussing moving we never dreamed that we would be lent a trailer, it has truly been a blessing to us.

-The week before Christmas my aunt called and asked if she could come down and help us for a few days this past week.  She was so much help.  She helped me pack and move all of our breakables and then unpack them when we got to the new house.  When I had to go to work for a day she watched the kids all day, even allowing Ryan and I to catch a quick bite to eat on a spontaneous date.

-My husband surprised me with this for Christmas:


Aric's picture frame was given to me by my mother in law when Aric was born.  I put the big baby picture in but never finished the frame.  I attempted to, but it was just too time consuming to sort through the pictures, pick one out for every month of his first year, have them printed in the correct size and then arrange them in the frame. Ryan did all of that and even purchased another frame for Kellyn.  I was definitely surprised!

-Finally, the last small thing to be thankful for, God has truly provided for us and blessed us financially.  I am starting off this new year employed as a stay at home mom.  I am excited to finally stay home with our children.  It's a whole new journey that I am about to embark on this year.  I'll keep you posted along the way as I'm sure it will be rather interesting to experience.

No comments: