Saturday, September 12, 2009

Too Much Excitement

My work doesn't typically follow me home.  For the most part when I get up at the end of my shift, I can leave everything behind and fully concentrate on my personal life.  That wasn't the case the last couple of days.

Early Friday morning we had a report that the police department in the adjoining county was chasing a stolen vehicle down the highway.  When they reached a highway that heads into our county we sent some of our officers in their direction to assist.  The last we heard of it the vehicle was headed away from our county.  End of story, not our problem.  I did have a momentary thought that the highway they turned on bookends the other side of the road I live on, but I went home and didn't think anything more of it. 

When I woke up at noon on Friday, Ryan informed me that my supervisor had called to let me know that the suspect in the stolen vehicle had ditched the vehicle on our street, he was actually a murder suspect out of Colorado and the police were out looking for him.  We made sure our vehicles were locked and the doors and windows in our home were secure.  A little while later we left and headed to the grocery store.  As we were leaving our street we encountered about 20 police vehicles from varying agencies, the emergency command post vehicle and SWAT team members all decked out in their gear with weapons ready to go.  It suddenly became alot scarier.

I was jumpy the rest of the day, but headed into work like normal.  As I left my street again driving by the command post I was stopped at a checkpoint.  They checked my driver's license and told me they figured out where the suspect was and were just trying to take him into custody. 

It was a long night at work.  I was concerned about Ryan and Aric and kept having to field calls from people who had heard rumors, but weren't bright enough to check out the local news sites to confirm or deny their rumors.  Around 2am we were told they were bringing in the command post and had not apprehended the subject. 

My drive home at 4am was long, dark and scary.  Ryan waited at the door for me and sent me off to bed.  I couldn't sleep.  Ryan was supposed to leave for work all weekend long in a couple of hours and I was near hysterical.  Being up all night, 8 months pregnant and knowing you're going to spend the day all by yourself with a 15 month old and an unborn child who need your protection isn't the best combination.  Pregnancy is certainly a vulnerable time.  Ryan called in to work, delayed his arrival, sent me to bed with a sleep aid and told me he would call my friend, Laura, to come stay with me today.

That is exactly what happened.  I got some sleep, Laura came over (thanks Laura!), and we hung out for part of the day.  We did find out that the suspect left the area, headed over to another town, took some hostages (who are okay) and was eventually shot and apprehended.  It was a relief to know he is in custody now and not lurking in our neighborhood. Though, I think it will be awhile before I quit jumping and feel safe enough to venture outside. 

2 comments:

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

Scary...I would have been the same way and I am not pregnant. I just heard tonight about the hostages and that he was shot, but the person I got it from wasn't sure if it was true or not and Nate said he really hadn't heard to much (being off and all). I am glad they caught him and that you guys stayed safe.

On another note, I must have missed the post with the baby's name. So is it Kellyn??? If so, very cute!!!

Unknown said...

Took Hostages?! Holy crap- to know how real your fears could have been. Do you know that was the #1 reason why I didn't want to move back to that area? I didn't want to live alone in "Stepford" where everything seems so clean and nice and crime free and meanwhile all of the crazy murderers and rapists are lurking in the shadows. Give me Killeen where the crime rate is off the charts- but I know my enemy!