Sunday, January 2, 2011

In Progress, Part 4

Now that we're done with the painting for awhile, at least, and most of our things are moved in we have begun to unpack.  Things are getting put away.  Things are getting hung on the walls and it's starting to feel like a home.  Our home.

Kellyn's room:


She's always kind of had a castoff theme.  Originally, when she was born, she was supposed to share a room with Aric.  All of her bedding went along with his theme.  Later when she was moved into her own room, I didn't really have any sort of direction for her.  In this house, I knew I wanted to paint her room purple.  I don't know why, I just wanted to.  I matched the curtains with the trim on the Hawaiian Noah's Ark quilt that is draped over her crib.  That was given to her by my parents and is becoming a well-loved, well-used item.  The other quilt hanging on the wall, also helps to tie all of colors together.  That quilt was made by Ryan's grandmother.  She did a lot of paper piecing and made that quilt out of all of her paper piecing samples.  It's very eclectic but really works together.  The butterfly mobile and wall hooks were left by the previous owners and we decided to use them.  We still have more to do, but I like the way her room is coming together.


Aric's room:


Aric's colors were picked to go with his truck and car bedding. Thankfully it all worked out because after all of the colors were picked out, we bought him a bigger bed and had to buy new bedding.  Thank goodness Target sticks with similar themes.  I don't have much to hang on Aric's walls yet, but I've decided not to be in a big hurry about it.  Everything that I had previously for his walls is all related to his baby theme and not suitable for the bedroom of a growing toddler.  I do have the letters for the kid's names to hang on the wall, however, they need to be painted different colors.  I'll have to wait until Spring before I can repaint them.



Kellyn has become quite proficient at climbing up the stairs.  Climbing down the stairs is another story.  She's quite timid about it and prefers to wait until someone will carry her down them.


The kitchen:


The kitchen and living room colors are based around the rug underneath our table.  I realize the color of the kitchen is quite a bit darker than most people prefer, but I really like it.  It coordinates well with the rug and the green accents in our living room.  At our last residence I hated the color of green in the kitchen.  I even made Ryan help me paint the "green kitchen green" and I hated the new color.  While this color would not have worked well in our other place, it works perfectly here and makes me happy.



We still have much more to do and I'm looking forward to every moment of it. 

2 comments:

Carmen said...

LOVE IT! You do good work, Regan. I'm so happy for you that you are done with work and getting to enjoy life at home with the kids and settling into your new home!

Kimberly said...

The house looks nice, Regan! It's fun to see the progress y'all have made.