Wednesday, September 2, 2009

With Only the Best Intentions

I started out my day with only the best intentions to accomplish quite a bit around the house. It seems I still forget that my brain moves at a much faster rate than my body is capable of lately.

I woke up early, since I have no ability to sleep in to any sort of decent time. I decided to make use of my time and balance the checkbook, post our September calendar, eat breakfast and wash our sheets. Aric woke up at 7:15. I got him up, we snuggled for a bit and then changed his clothes and I fed him breakfast. I changed his sheets, did more laundry, made a new batch of laundry soap and thought of other things that I wanted to get done today. I mentally added vacuuming and cleaning the bathroom onto my to do list.

By the time 10:00 rolled around Aric was ready for a nap and so was I. We slept for an hour and a half. It has been almost impossible for me to fully wake up from a nap lately. I brought Aric downstairs and let him watch a Baby Einstein video while I laid back down on the couch. About 30 minutes later I got up and fixed us lunch. Then I washed dishes, taking a break in the middle when Aric wanted me to read to him. We played some more, I threw in another load of laundry and by 1:30 Aric was dragging his monkey and blankets around the house. Nap time again. I put him down, took a shower, and then climbed back in bed.

An hour and a half later Aric woke up and I again took him downstairs. I turned on Baby Einstein and laid back down on the couch. Aric was quite content to play in the living room. Every once in awhile he would want help getting on to the couch where he would sit or lay on me for awhile and then climb down. At one point he brought over a stacking cup that he figured out made a funny whistling noise when he put it on his mouth. I kept thinking I needed to get up and get him a snack and something to drink.

Then there was a knock on the front door. I was a bit confused about who was knocking on the door since I wasn't expecting any deliveries. It was Ryan. I opened the door and asked him why he was home so early. He looked at me like I was insane. I thought it was 3:30, it was actually 4:45. Aric hadn't eaten dinner yet. I hadn't started dinner yet. And the things I thought I was going to accomplish didn't happen. The floor still needs vacuumed, the bathroom is still dirty and now I have three baskets of laundry that need folded.

Aric is happy today, the laundry is clean, the dishes got done, I took a shower and we went out for dinner. The rest of it will have to wait for another day.

1 comment:

Cristen said...

Don't sweat it - rest while you can, your body obviously needs it! I remember feeling like I never got anything done during those last couple of weeks, and of course that problem has only gotten worse. Your world is about to get stupid busy...nap all you want!