Monday, September 14, 2009

Irony

I took off from work Saturday night to stay home with Aric while Ryan was gone for the weekend.  On Sunday we got up, had a little bit of a lazy morning as we waited for church to start.  Aric went down for a nap, I got myself ready and laid on the couch for awhile since I kept having contractions.  They gradually died down, I woke Aric up and we went to church.  Afterwards I took Aric to my hairdressers and received a long overdue haircut.  For me, not Aric.  Don't worry he still has all of his curls!

Aric fell asleep for 10 minutes in the car on the ride home and refused to nap again for the rest of the day.  We have been fighting him on his naps lately, which I think are getting messed up because he is currently teething three molars.  I was a little concerned.  By early afternoon Ryan hadn't made it home from work, I still had to go to work at 6 for the night, I was having contractions again and I needed a nap before work.  I called in to see if I could work from 6-11 and then go home since I wasn't feeling well.  I knew there was no one to cover me from 6-11 but hoped that both of the people who are scheduled to come in on the midnight shift were coming in.  I was told no.  One of the people working the midnight shift was flexing out time and not coming in until 2:40.  I was told I could leave then.  By 2:40 my shift is almost over and I might as well stick it out and not waste my leave.  I proceeded to pysch myself up to work an entire shift.

Thankfully Ryan came home by 4 and I was able to lay down for an hour.  I didn't sleep but at least I was off my feet.  When I got out of the car at work I had another contraction that was so uncomfortable that it stopped me and nearly doubled me over.  That is if it would even be possible for me to double over in my current state.  (Don't worry- at no time was I worried I was in labor.  I just knew they were all false contractions from overdoing it and I need to rest.)

I was given my yearly eval when I went in to work.  One of my bad points- I work too hard.  I come into work even when I'm not feeling well and should probably stay home.  What could I do but shake my head and laugh in disbelief?  Apparently when I don't feel well I have to come to work anyway.  I guess I've learned my lesson, next time I'll just call in and say I'm sick and not worry about whether it'll be easy to cover me or not.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did the supervisor/shift leader realize the irony in the eval? And YES, calling in sick is EXACTLY what you should do. There is nothing they can do but call someone else in.