Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Seeds

I've had a few inquiries about what seeds the kids and I planted in the garden.  I thought since I wasn't going on any exotic or not so exotic trips anytime soon I would try planting some fall crops in our vegetable garden.  The kids and I went to a local nursery and purchased packets of seeds.  We planted broccoli, peas, mixed lettuce and spinach.




I'm not sure how fruitful our crops will be, regardless it entertains me the kids.  We still have assorted peppers and tomatoes that are producing.  I've frozen bags of peppers for later use hoping they freeze well.  I'm also hoping that I will still get an opportunity to can tomatoes.  There is a large amount of green tomatoes on our plants.  It would be nice if they ripen in the cooling temperatures.

Remember the 7000 columbine seeds I planted?  They didn't grow this summer.  When I returned from my brother's wedding I brought back some plants my parents gave me.  I planted those in the area where I had scattered the seeds in the spring.  Apparently churning the soil did something to activate those seeds.  I now have 7000 columbines growing.


Hopefully our neighbors like columbines.

No comments: