Monday, May 9, 2011

Having Curb Appeal

We are well on our way to having some curb appeal.  For the past month we have worked hard to make the front of our home more inviting.  When we moved in we had a row of mums across the front of the house.  Boring.


Our front door was white.  Boring.


I wanted interest, pizazz.  I wanted it to look like we actually like our home, like we actually care about our home.  We do like it, we do care about it, and we're trying to put our stamp on it.




The plants have been in for three or four weeks now and all of them are doing well.  We had some spring rains to help water them in and they are definitely thriving.  The grass... well, that's not doing so well.  It will be a longer project, though.  We have to spend the summer killing the grubs and other bugs that have been killing it and then this fall we'll have to put down new seed.  We have someone who has been advising us.  Hopefully it will work.

The front door is now cranberry. Not so boring anymore.



For Mother's Day my thoughtful husband children gave me two blue hydrangeas.  I knew just where to put them:



We planned to dig a garden in along the side of our house.  It was kind of boring and ugly and visible from the road.  We weren't in too much of a hurry.  The project was moved up a bit since the hydrangeas needed a new home.



The odd bare spots of dirt with no mulch were left on purpose.  I planted somewhere around 7000 columbine seeds there.  I hope some of them come up, but I'm not hoping all 7000 of them do.  That many columbines might be a bit overkill.  If they do, I guess I'll be looking for other places to transplant them.

No comments: