Saturday, September 17, 2011

Apple Pie in a Jar

Yesterday, while waiting for Ryan to fly back from a business trip, I decided to entertain myself by making a pie in a jar from this recipe.  I thought the concept was brilliant.  Why not have single serving pie in a jar just waiting in the freezer for those times when you really crave a piece of pie?

The kids were entertained, I had some apples that I needed to use, and plenty of time so I began working on my recipe.

Entertained kid #1

Entertained kid #2
I cheated and used refrigerated pie crust because I HATE making pie crust from scratch.  I deeply dislike rolling pins.  I also used regular half pint jars that I purchased cheaply from Wal-Mart.  I didn't see the point of buying special, expensive wide mouth jars for an experiment.

Looking good already and fairly easy to assemble:


I used pie cutters that I bought from Target, not the ones they recommended from Williams and Sonoma:


Ready to be frozen:


I made seven jars and froze six of them.  The last jar I saved to eat after the kids went to bed.  I popped the jar in the oven and set the timer for the recommended length of time.  I went on my merry little way mopping the floor while I waited, all the while forgetting that my oven runs hot.  Yes, my oven runs hot and I burnt my pie in a jar.  Or at least attempted to make the crispiest crust ever.  The filling was still good, but I scooped out the pie crust into the trash and then dished myself up my usual bowl of ice cream.  I'm not saying it's a bad recipe.  I'm just saying 45 minutes was a bit too long.

No comments: