Thursday, July 30, 2009

Prepared to Fail

This morning I went to my 28 week doctor's appointment. Part of the appointment was to take my glucose test. I had gestational diabetes with Aric and ended up on insulin. It was traumatic at the time, but after awhile it was just a part of life. Early on in this pregnancy I had to take a glucose test, which I passed, to make sure that I didn't develop gestational diabetes at the beginning of the pregnancy. Since then I have randomly taken my fasting glucose levels in the morning and repeatedly failed the test. The baby is even measuring two weeks bigger than she should be. All signs pointed towards me having gestational diabetes again.

I took the test today and passed it. My glucose levels were supposed to be under 140. They were 115. Needless to say I am shocked. I planned for diabetes. I was ready for it and now I kind of don't know what to do with myself. I even have daycare lined up for Aric tomorrow morning because I thought I was going to have to take the 3 hour follow-up test at the doctor's office. I think Ryan and I are going to celebrate with pizza for dinner tonight.

My OB is on vacation this week, but I did meet with the nurse practitioner. She was able to answer some of the questions that Ryan and I have about the abruption.

At what point would they decide that I need to have the baby no matter how premature she would be?

There are two circumstances that would change their course of action. One of those being if I started bleeding and they weren't able to make it stop. The other being that the baby reached a point where she was in distress and she would receive better care on the outside.

What can we expect if she is born premature?

If she is born before 32 weeks she would have to go to the nearby "big city" hospital. They have a level 3 NICU nursery where they could give her the care that she would need. That is about an hour away from our house. If she was born between 32-36 weeks she could probably stay in the nursery at the nearby hospital where Aric was born. Either way she would stay in the hospital until she was stabilized and learned how to breathe and eat on her own.

Am I at risk for this in future pregnancies?

No, each and every pregnancy is different. This results from the way the placenta attached in the beginning and it is nothing that I have done or could have prevented.

Another week has passed, which makes that much more of a difference in the baby's development. I have an ultrasound in two weeks to check on the state of the abruption. In the meantime, it's just one day at a time. And at least my days can still involve bowls of ice cream!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Regan. I have been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I went through the same thing you are going through now w/Kaitlyn. I had her @ 32 weeks and she was showing as a bigger baby also. She was 6lbs and got to come home in 5 days. I can't wait to see your little girl when she gets here. Enjoy your ice cream :)
Jen