Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Growing Too Fast

Some days I wonder where did the time go?  When did my little boy go from this:


To this:


Aric has had terrible seperation anxiety since he was about seven months old.  It didn't matter that I dropped him off at the same daycare with the same caretaker and the same kids, he still cried every morning.  As a mother, those tears were heart-wrenching.  Nothing I did made it any better and Aric usually had to be restrained when I left him.  Don't even bring up Sunday School.  At the church we were attending that was worse because it meant he had different teachers and no sense of continuity.

With me now staying home, Aric has been better about getting dropped off at Sunday School.  Last week he was moved out of the nursery into a new class of three year olds.  We had a long talk about how he was a big boy now and would go to the big boy class instead of being with the babies.  I anticipated some problems.  When I took Aric to the class he held my hand tighter as we entered the classroom.  One of the teachers came over and offered her hand as she explained to Aric that the other kids were playing with dirt and water.  He took her hand and never looked back.

This week, Ryan and I took Aric to class.  He was excited to show Daddy the pictures of Jesus on the wall in the hallway and where his new class was.  Once we came to his room, Aric waved "bye" to us as he excitedly went into class.  As a mother it was great to see his confidence, but heart-wrenching in a much different way. It brought visions of a future kindergartner to mind.

I am not ready for him to grow up!

No comments: