Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Our White Trash 4th of July

We never intended on having a White Trash 4th of July, but we should have seen it coming.  You know you are headed in that direction when the fireworks stand where you buy your fireworks is, first of all, within walking distance of your home and, secondly, most importantly, is the fireworks stand chosen by the kids because of the big inflatable gorilla.


Is now the time to mention that we walked there after mowing the grass and before showering for the day?  It's a good thing the gorilla was so large and we were so tiny.

Our day took a turn towards white trash when I announced to Ryan that the kids were dressed and ready to go outside for the festivities.  He dubiously looked at me after glancing at the kids.  So, maybe I didn't exactly dress them in swimsuits.  I didn't see the problem.  We were just going out into our backyard with a nice privacy fence installed around it.  Isn't that the purpose of a privacy fence?

The kids really enjoyed the Pop, Pop fireworks.  You know the ones that look like little spit wads that explode when they hit the ground.  (Excuse my firework ignorance- I grew up on military bases where fireworks weren't exactly allowed.)




Those three photos are the sole photos I have of our firework escapades.  When Ryan pulled out the stuff that really crackled, whizzed around and sent sparks shooting Kellyn flipped out.  She attached herself to me in such a way that I wasn't sure if I would ever be able to extricate myself from her again much less actually take anymore photos.  I don't think this was meant to be her year to appreciate fireworks.  After the boys had some fun watching things explode, Ryan put the real fireworks away and pulled out more Pops for Kellyn.  It calmed her down a bit and we were then able to turn our attention to the sprinkler.











Kellyn has always been scared of the sprinkler, but seemed to overcome the fear after Ryan and I ran through it with her.  The kids had a good time and I know Ryan and I enjoyed it much more than we would have if we had gone somewhere with crowds of people out in the hot sun.

Ryan and I finished off our celebration standing out in the driveway in our pajamas watching the firework shows that the neighbors put on.  It was the perfect ending to our white trash day.

No comments: