Saturday, July 16, 2011

My Helper

My garden has done surprisingly well this summer.  It has been fun to go out each morning and water the plants, watching them grow and become fruitful.  One other person in this house has had as much fun as I have had: 


Even though he doesn't eat many vegetables, Aric has had so much fun gardening with me.  Everyday he wants to go outside and look at the vegetables, water them and help pick those that are ripe and ready for eating.  Even if we don't get much out of the garden, the time spent with Aric has been well worth it.

The garden is overall still doing well.  It's that time of the year when it's hot, dry and some of the plants have succumbed to the conditions.


My zucchini plant wilted and is currently dying.  I have yet to see how prolific a zucchini plant actually is since we've only maybe had five of them to harvest.


Our tomatoes are taking off and getting ready to ripen.  We had to throw a couple of the earlier tomatoes out because they were rotten on the bottom.  Ryan did some research and discovered the problem.  I placed crushed up egg shells underneath the plants and they seem to be doing better now.


Something found my pepper plant the other day and devoured the leaves.  Too bad it didn't taste the peppers, that might have scared it away forever.


The cucumbers have been our best crop so far.  I think the garden has paid for itself just in cucumber production.  The kids love cucumbers and haven't minded eating them almost daily.


Ryan and I have already discussed an expansion for next year.  We've picked a spot that has more shade in the afternoon and would be perfect for some of the more delicate plants that aren't thriving as well right now.  We are also liking the Square Foot Gardening method and will definitely use that method again next year.

No comments: