Friday, July 8, 2011

Not Mundane Today

I have come to realize that motherhood is full of the mundane.  I make the same three beds everyday, my kids wear the same couple of outfits (which is the hazard of letting them pick out their clothes because A. those shirts always seem to be on top and B. they have an unnatural obsession with those shirts.  Sometimes I mix up the clothes in their drawers to see if they'll wear something else.  But I digress...), we play with the same toys, read the same books, you get the point.  Sometimes I get stuck in the monotony and can not think of anything to blog about. 

Does anyone really want to know that Aric decided he should quit taking naps when he hit the magically, mature age of three?  One of the few ways I can trick him into taking a nap is by allowing him to nap on our couch while watching the Looney Tunes, which for some reason is his three year old version of a sleeping pill.


Or that Kellyn still runs around stealing hats, playing under tables and generally just getting into everything she shouldn't be touching?


Every once in awhile, though, your day heads in a different direction than expected.  Today was one of those days.  I slept in until 7, which for me is an amazing, almost impossible fete.  I opened the bedroom door to Ryan and Kellyn in the hall bathroom.  Kellyn was screaming.  My first thought was that Kellyn was getting her diaper changed and was unhappy and vocal about not being able to play.  It is a normal occurrence around here.  I quickly realized that wasn't the case after I saw her toe.

Excuse the grainy I-took-this-with-my-cell-phone-look-of-this-photo.
I gave Kellyn Tylenol, called the insurance company, and quickly got ready to take her to the urgent care center.  Thankfully this occurred early enough in the day that we made it as the clinic opened and did not have a wait.  One painful exam/cleaning, a horribly squirmy x-ray session, a princess band-aid make that three princess band aids, a mickey mouse pez dispenser, and a pink frosted donut later and Kellyn was back home and back to her normal, happy self.


Her toe isn't broken, just pretty nasty looking.  She ripped/tore/destroyed her toenail, but they left it in place because they fear she'll do worse damage to the nail bed if the toenail is removed.  We just have to keep it clean and attempt to keep a band aid on her, which is much harder than you would think.


I decided that next time it is Ryan's turn to take the injured party to the urgent care clinic.  I am getting kind of tired of having my hand x-rayed in an attempt to hold the squirmy child still on the table.

It's hard work smashing your toe with a cat tower.

1 comment:

Cristen said...

Ouch! Poor Kellyn!! Julian pulled a dining room table (albeit a very rickity one) down onto his foot not too long ago. Good think it missed his toenail, or we would have been in the same situation.
PS...totally feel ya on the mundane thing...only Julian seems to be trying to break that up with 24/7 screamfests about nothing at all in particular.