Thursday, July 14, 2011

Payback

Everyone always comments on how different personalities of siblings can be.  How it doesn't matter that they came from the same set of parents, raised in the same house with the same rules, the kids will respond differently in life, because they are wired differently. We're seeing evidence of this in our own home.

We knew Kellyn would be different when she was in the womb.  Aric was a snuggler and Kellyn wanted out.  My suspicions that she was completely different from Aric were only confirmed that first night in the hospital when she was a drama queen all night long.  My little girl is a handful- a pull your hair out I don't know what to do with her on some days handful. I can't help but love her.



 
I spend my days chasing her out of rooms she shouldn't be in, keeping her away from the cat food, from monkey climbing book shelves, out of cabinets with child latches secured on them, from pushing the glass out of our coffee table.  The list could go on and on.  Some days my head spins from the sheer amount of energy and inquisitiveness housed in one little girl.  I wish I had a fraction of that energy just to be able to keep up with her.

Two nights ago Ryan woke me up as he returned to bed after putting Kellyn back in her bed.  Apparently she had been up for awhile playing in the living room in cabinets of the entertainment center where Ryan eventually found her.  After returning to our room he realized his work phone was missing.  We searched our room from top to bottom and called the phone a few times when Ryan discovered the missing Blackberry in Kellyn's bed.  She had stolen Ryan's phone during her midnight escapades. 

From stories my parents tell she sounds an awful lot like me when I was that age.  I can only shake my head in defeat and cry and whine and apologize for all that I put them through.  In the meantime, I'll be shipping Kellyn off to military school to be whipped into shape I believe I will speed read through some books on strong willed children that have been collecting dust on my nightstand and pray for wisdom on how best to deal with my little inquisitive child.

 

No comments: