Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Harvest

I harvested four heads of lettuce right before I left for Chicago.  Normally I wouldn't have picked so much lettuce, but Ryan wanted to partake from the first fruits of our garden and I didn't want to leave them behind.  I wasn't sure what I would return to, knowing that the weather was hot and dry back in Kansas, but, thankfully, our house sitter watered our vegetable garden.


It is definitely looking big and healthy.  We have zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes and peppers appearing on our plants.


The third bed looks like it's finally starting to take root and is working hard to catch up to the other beds.


Last night I picked two yellow squash and might have some more that will be ready in time for this weekend.  Ryan and I are thinking of using these two to make some shish kabobs this Father's Day weekend.


Unfortunately the watering of our plants didn't get much farther than our vegetable garden.  I have some sad looking plants in the front garden, a dried up fruit tree in the front yard and my Mother's Day hydrangeas are barely hanging on.  Hopefully with a little time, a lot of water and some patience they will return to their former glory.  It was nice to have my hibiscus, another Mother's Day gift, produce it's first blooms of the season upon our return.

No comments: