Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Trip to the ER

Last night was our first trip to the ER. I noticed Aric had red splotches and bumps all over his little belly last night while we were sitting on the bathroom floor trying to get the bath water to the correct temperature. I didn't really think anything of it and continued on with washing his hair. After I finished washing his hair I took his diaper off and plopped him in the tub. He made sort of odd wheezing sounds and thrashed a bit. I thought the water was too hot. I tested it and discovered it was a little on the cold side. I pulled him out and held him while I adjusted the water temperature and he calmed down. Then I put him back in the tub, washed him and gave him his bath toys. Aric played for a while and then started fussing to get out. I took him into the bedroom, put his diaper on him and took him downstairs to show Ryan his belly. Ryan didn't seem concerned. I took Aric back upstairs to put his pajamas on him. While I was putting his pajamas on him, I noticed he was wheezing while fussing and I noticed that his tongue was huge. I rushed him back downstairs to make Ryan look at his tongue. Ryan confirmed that Aric's tongue looked swollen and we rushed him to the ER.

Of course, when we get to the ER Aric is doing better and smiling at the front desk attendant. (Who by the way is more concerned with who you are and if you're in the system then actually asking why you're there. I think she should ask what the problem is before getting around to your name and insurance information.) The triage nurse came out and checked him over. He wasn't wheezing anymore, still had hives and his tongue was slightly swollen. We got lumped in the group with all of the other sick babies. Aric ate, fell asleep and seemed to be alright. We waited there two hours and there was no sign of any progress in seeing a doctor. Ryan consulted his mom and we decided to just go home, monitor Aric overnight and take him to the pediatrician the next day.

I have some ideas of what might have caused the allergic reaction but I'll wait to let you know until after we talk to his doctor. Hopefully I can get him into the pediatrician today.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Good grief - I know what you mean about them wanting to get all of your info first. When we took Avery it was b/c she had fallen head first into a concrete step and had a bump on her head as big as my fist (serious). I'm like "LOOK AT HER! WE NEED A DOCTOR!!!!" :) Anyway, at least you saved some money, thats the good part. Keep us updated. Who ever told us that being a mom would be so downright scary at times?