Friday, February 17, 2012

Baffled

I really enjoy watching my children creatively play.  It makes me smile as I realize they are cultivating their imaginations.  Sometimes, though, I do a double take:

I noticed the dinosaurs lined up in front of Kellyn's Valentine's card.


When I asked Kellyn what they were doing she said they were talking to the monkey.


Of course they are, how silly of me that I had to ask.


Those same dinosaurs were lined up in rows later and became Aric's math project.  On his own volition he was doing subtraction problems, "If you have four stegosaurus and take away one how many are left."  I didn't realize so much fun could be had with a bag of $1 Valentine clearance dinosaurs. (How are plastic dinosaurs a Valentine's item?)


Last night I went into Aric's room to put clothes away and came upon this scene:


When I asked him why the cars were in a circle and got past the "because they are" answer he said they wanted to see their friends.  It might just be me, but I don't think that looks friendly.  I'd be intimidated if I were one of the three cars in the middle.

Then this morning I happened upon this scene:


Why does Belle have a tiger in her lap?  Why is she encircled by dinosaurs?  I thought those questions, but thought better of asking them aloud.

The mind of a preschooler baffles me.

No comments: