Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Sweat Shoppe

When I made Kellyn's tutu I felt hopelessly lost in the craft department.  Everything that I tried to make did not turn out as well as it did in my head.  I was full of vision, but I couldn't translate that vision into reality.  Not long after the tutu mishap (which wasn't so much of a mishap because I remade it using less tulle and a ribbon instead of elastic) I went to a craft fair with some dear friends.  At the craft fair I was inspired, so inspired that on the way home we stopped at a fabric store to pick up supplies to make some things on our own.  The woman cutting my fabric asked what I was making, when I told her about my day and what I planned to make she said, "things never turn out and that's why we should just buy things at the craft shows instead of attempting to make them."  Ignoring the particularly snarky comment from the sales woman who apparently doesn't work on commission, I went home and proceeded to let my creativity flow.

I made two wreaths:

Made with gray fleece.  Bow not included and was removed after this picture was taken.

Made with burlap.
The wreaths were just the inspiration that I needed.  They made some long dormant part of me come back alive.  Those wreaths led to more wreaths, which led to scarves and pillows (yeah, I don't really question the direction my creativity took.)

Made with grey fleece and felt flowers.
Grey fleece pillow.  Crown Royal quilt made by Ryan's Grandmother- no you can't have it.
Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the scarves.  They were sewn using the hand-me down Bernina I was given.  It used to belong to Ryan's grandmother.


I have sewn off and on over the years, but have never sewn on a machine that I really liked.  I always had trouble with threading the machine, tension, attention span and whatever else could possibly go wrong while sewing.  Something happened while I sewed those scarves, I began to figure out the machine and get a rhythm going.  Then I realized I didn't mind sewing so much and wanted to sew more things.  While Ryan's parents were visiting over Thanksgiving his mom encouraged my sewing.  I told her that I was thinking about sewing a quilt for Aric.  For Christmas she bought me a table to sew on, since sewing at our dining table was a hassle.

My sewing/craft table

She also bought fabric and supplies for me while we were out shopping on Black Friday.

Fabric for Aric's new quilt.
I worked on Aric's quilt for awhile, but then put it on hold while I worked on making wreaths, scarves and pillows for Christmas presents.  (Sorry due to the camera being gone for repairs no photos were taken.)  I loved every moment of it.  I felt creatively alive again, a feeling I haven't felt in a long time.  It got me thinking... would anyone want to buy anything that I made?  My Christmas gifts were well received, either that or people were just being nice, but it gave me more confidence in myself.

That's when I found the pattern for these bags:


Ryan's mom was given one and asked me how to figure out how they were made.  They have a tape measure closure.  I found the pattern an enjoyed making them.  I began toying with the idea of opening an Etsy shop.  I had originally thought about craft fairs, and while I'm still not opposed to it, it would be difficult with Ryan's schedule and two little kids.  Etsy seemed easier, there is very little overhead and if it didn't work out as I had hoped all I have to do is close the shop.

With this idea in my head I began to work more in what I lovingly referred to as my sweat shop:

Located by my stationary bike and treadmill

Bags ready to be assembled.

Store inventory

A small ID wristlet prototype.
 My Etsy store isn't open for business yet, but I'm getting there.  I want to make a couple of wreaths, pillows and scarves.  I need to finish writing my shop policies, figure out shipping prices and all of the other mundane parts of running a small business.  I'll let you know when it's up and running and ready for business.

Then after that I'll return to Aric's dinosaur quilt.

2 comments:

Carmen said...

That's so impressive, Regan! Way to go! I'm so thrilled for you that your creative side is being tapped into in a new (at least recently) way! Be sure to let us know how the Etsy shop progresses.

And on a side note, I just bought that same dinosaur fabric for part of our baby boy's quilt. So fun!

Kimberly said...

That is really exciting, Regan! Great work! The bags look super cute. I will be praying for everything to go smoothly as you finalize all the trivium of etsy. Keep us posted!