Monday, August 4, 2008

I made it through my first week back

I made it through my first work run. I am very glad that my first week back was a short week. I felt like it helped ease me in a bit. After my next two days off my schedule at work will return to normal.

The first day back was extremely difficult. The day went by slower than molasses and I was trying not to tear up on and off throughout the day. I made it through, though Thankfully my supervisor started me off slow. I just answered phones all day instead of having to jump back and do everything. The rest of my week everything was back to normal as though I had never left.

There is a new dispatcher working on my shift. Thankfully he is only covering for people and will move to a new shift next week. At the beginning of the week I was just trying to get the hang of things and didn’t pay any attention to him, by today I wanted to throw my water bottle at his head. Not very nice, I know, but he was driving me up the wall. I kept reminding myself that today was the last day that I had to work with him and when I return on Thursday everything will be back to normal. It’s just frustrating when other people make mistakes that affect your work performance.

On one hand I’m glad to be back at work. I have worked full time for so many years it was a little weird to be at home. However, I truly miss my baby and long for the day when I can be at home with him throughout the day. I’m definitely looking forward to my next two days at home with him. Last night he lay on the sofa next to me looking at me while I ate dinner. It’s so nice to come home and snuggle with him and have him want to snuggle in return.

Ryan has been at home with Aric the last two days. This was the first time that it has just been the two of them for longer than a couple of hours. Ryan admitted he has a whole new appreciation for what my maternity leave was like. Yesterday Aric slept most of the day and yet Ryan said it was still difficult to get anything done. Today Aric was clingy, only slept for 30 minute stretches and wanted to be held. Ryan was worn out when I came home today. While I hope he has good days with Aric, I’m secretly glad that he is gaining an understanding of what it is like to be at home with a baby.

No comments: