Thursday, July 31, 2008

The End of Leave

Today is my last day of maternity leave and I’m a little bummed about it. I’m not ready to go back to work, but it’s not something that another week or two off will solve. I don’t think I’ll ever be ready to go back to work. I love spending my day with Aric even when he’s not in one of his better moods. He is just a joy to be around and I am so much in love with this little boy. I still am amazed by how much love you can have for someone so small. I am thankful that God blessed me with the gift of seven weeks at home with Aric. It gave me time to heal and time to get to know my son. He has grown so much in the last seven weeks and I love seeing him smile or try to suck his thumb. Time has flown by, though. I don’t worry about Aric. I know he will be in good hands and I am thankful that he doesn’t have to go to a daycare center. Hopefully someday soon I will be able to stay at home with him.

I am a little nervous about returning to work. I feel like a kid preparing for the first day of school. I have my clothes for the week laid out and ready to go. I have a checklist for everything that I need to do today. Returning to work terrifies me a little because I haven’t been there for seven weeks and I’m a little out of practice. Tomorrow I’ll be back on the radio, answering 911 calls, and doing whatever else gets thrown my way. For the last seven weeks I have been talking to a baby which hasn’t exactly kept my dispatching skills fresh. I hope that it will all come back and fall into place when I sit down at my console.

No comments: