Thursday, July 3, 2008

Lawn Mowing Woes

We have about 2.5 acres of grass to mow around our house. We use a lawn tractor and take care of the mowing in a decent amount of time. This summer, however, the lawn tractor died. My husband was midway through the yard and we heard a loud sound as if he had struck a rock. Then the tractor wouldn’t start again. The thing is only five years old, so this was a little unexpected. I took the tractor into a local lawn mower replacement shop that we have used many times before right before I had Aric. Normally they fix everything and give you a call afterwards. This time for some reason I felt led to let them know that we would like an estimate.

About a week or so after we had Aric, they left a message that they believed the engine had seized and a new engine was going to cost $1200. Upon further prodding, I found out that the technician that had looked at the tractor hadn’t even taken the engine apart. We decided that the estimate was too much and my husband picked up the tractor. Since its return home, my husband has slowly taken the engine apart. His discovery: a broken piston rod not a dead engine. All we need now is a couple of new pistons and the engine put back together and hopefully the problem will be solved. In the meantime, my poor husband has been push mowing our entire yard. I feel bad because I’m still not cleared to help him with the massive project. Maybe by the end of the month I’ll be able to help him or maybe the tractor will be fixed and usable again…

No comments: