Thursday, July 10, 2008

Screaming Meemee

It has been awhile and I’m sorry to all of you who keep checking. Things have been a little crazy the last couple of weeks. Aric’s demeanor has changed a little and he’s not the same easy-going baby. Hopefully we can figure out what is bothering him and bring back that happiness.

I let him cry it out this morning. It was tough, but I knew that he was fed, clean and taken care of, besides I had things to do that did not involve holding a baby. He actually did cry it out and when I was ready to free him he was lying in his crib not crying. I freed him and we went out on a walk this morning with the baby jogger. (Thanks Dad and Mom.) It was so nice. The baby jogger has music on the move so I plugged in my MP3 player and we listened to one of Ryan’s mellow playlists while we walked. Aric fell asleep by the time I got to the end of our driveway, but I kept walking (a mile and a half total). It was nice to enjoy the morning, never mind the mugginess. Everything was so peaceful and I felt a little renewed and refreshed which is much needed after the last couple of days. I really can’t wait until I’m cleared to actually use the baby jogger for jogging. …And Aric, he’s still sleeping in the baby jogger.

Poor Aric. He’s been uncomfortable and I haven’t really known how to help him to feel better. I called the pediatrician the other morning to make sure that he was alright. He’s been eating for five minutes every 1 to 2 hours the past three days and he screams when he has to go to the bathroom. The first may be normal, but I know the last isn’t. We put him on some gas medicine which has helped about two-thirds of the time. I’ll have to call back today and see what they say. I just feel so bad for him. Yesterday was especially tough. He really didn’t nap all that much during the day and by last night he was exhausted and so was I. Ryan came home and quickly realized what my day had been like. I finally got Aric to sleep by 9:30 and he slept until 1 and then until 3:30 and until 5:30. Last night was so much better than waking up every 2 hours. Hopefully last night is a sign that today will be much better.

My mom has been reassuring me that this is all only a phase and that it will get better. She reminded me that my younger brother had colic and that every night we would all go on long walks to put him to sleep in the stroller. While I don't think Aric has colic, I know that the last couple of days have not been pleasant. Last night while he was crying, out of the blue I remembered the phrase "Screaming meemee." That's what my older brother and I called my younger brother when he was crying.

No comments: