Sunday, November 16, 2008

Careless Comments

It started out as an innocent conversation and ended up as a discussion that became personally offensive to me. I was conversing with a coworker about the last time we received flowers as a romantic gesture. I explained to her that my husband doesn't like to give flowers, but sometimes he brings me plants. I was pregnant with Aric the last time Ryan brought me a plant. My pregnancy had progressed passed the point of my past two miscarriages and Ryan brought me home a plant in celebration. My coworker said that it was better that I had lost those two babies because there was probably something wrong with them.

Her statement, while it probably wasn't meant to be mean, was ignorant. It was one of those statements that people say when they don't know what to say and just shouldn't say anything at all. I heard alot of similiar statements following my miscarriages and actually had a friendship fall apart over an inconsiderate comment.

It doesn't matter if there had been something wrong with those babies, I would've had them anyway and I would've treasured every moment that I was blessed to have them in my life. I am against abortion because I don't believe that I can decide when life can end. I believe that life begins at the point of conception. I wouldn't get rid of a child just because the baby was less than perfect and not completely healthy. There are too many examples in my life of amazing people who might not be here if different choices had been made while they were in the womb.

I'm not trying to start any controversy. I'm just stating my beliefs and suggesting that maybe everyone should think before making a careless comment.

No comments: