Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Plumber Extraordinaire

Ryan and I are able to laugh about this now, but at the time tensions were high.

Yesterday the septic guy came and pumped our tank. This did not fix the problem since there was still a clog in the pipes. I called RotoRooter and found out that it would be $155 and someone could come out that day. I then called Ryan at work and asked him if I should go ahead and schedule the plumber. He told me to call and rent an auger and he would do it himself.

Now for a little back story, we did this last time and still had to call RotoRooter to fix the problem. Moving on...

I, being the doubting good wife that I am, went to the rental place and brought home an auger. I called Ryan to let him know that I had the auger at home and to be prepared to work on that. (Can you see how good of a wife I was last night?) Ryan came home, started working on the pipes, and it did not go well. At one point he thought he had it fixed, ran a bunch of water, and overflowed the lines again. It smelled foul, but thankfully the wet vac was already in the house. He made me wear his gloves and snake the line while he went outside to listen. He even made himself a sandwich and went upstairs to read more about it on the Internet. Meanwhile, I'm fixing dinner tallying in my head how much this is going to cost: $200 to pump the septic tank + $48 for supplies to reset the toilet (it needed more than just a wax ring) + $58 to rent the auger + $155 to have RotoRooter come out hopefully tomorrow to fix the problem. As Ryan said later, "The night was not looking good at Chez Peters."

Ryan came downstairs with a renewed sense of purpose and was able to break through the clog and solve our problems. We had dinner and then cleaned up the house. There is still more to do, since resetting the toilet is not as easy as just installing a new wax ring, but there's an end in sight and I can shower longer than 2 minutes again.

We did laugh about how "the night was not looking good at Chez Peters" and that this was something that could've been brought up repeatedly over the next 15 years. Ahhh, domestic bliss!

No comments: