Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Shot at Fame

Last week I tried an experiment. I decided to shower every night before bed instead of every morning. This new change of my schedule gave me the opportunity to sleep in an extra half hour every morning. However, because I wasn’t showering in the morning, I didn’t really do much with my hair and usually threw it up in a messy bun or ponytail. After five days of this experiment I have decided not to continue it any longer, mainly for two reasons. The first reason being that the extra half hour really didn’t seem to do much for me anyway. I would wake up every morning at my usual time and lie in bed awake for the extra half hour. I still came home almost every day and needed to take another half hour nap after work. The second reason that my experiment failed is that I ended up on TV on Monday. I was at work, minding my own business, when my supervisor realized that a dispatcher needed to go to the law board meeting to accept a certificate of appreciation for Telecommunications Week. She was supposed to go, but decided she would rather not since she had a flat tire that morning and had stood out in the rain for awhile. I was elected to go instead. Of course I was told about this with 10 minutes to get from the police station to city hall. I made it but not with much time to stop and do anything else including fixing my hair. The law board meeting is televised on the local city cable station for all in the area to see. As I was accepting the award, I could see the shot of myself on a larger screen. I realized that my hair was falling out of its bun and my belly looked huge, both thoughts that made me want to laugh at the time. I would’ve preferred some advance warning, but I also would have felt much better if my hair was not in a messy bun. I really don’t think this situation will happen again, but it’s enough to put me back on my regular schedule!

No comments: