Friday, March 21, 2008

Odds and Ends

Yesterday was my first day back to work after my moment of fame. I ended up taking a shower the night before and going to work with a messy bun. My reason was different from before, though. I received a call at 8:40 the night before asking me to go in to work at 4am. I wasn’t going to wake up any earlier that I had to just to wash and blow dry my hair in the morning, especially when I have a 30 minute drive to work! Today should be much different, though, since I will be working a swing shift this afternoon. It was kind of nice to sleep in this morning. I think I was able to sleep for 11 hours overnight. Or at least I was in bed for that long. It is hard to sleep in the middle of the night when your belly gets a case of the hiccups for 20 minutes.

My husband thinks that this baby is going to have finger size dents in his head when he’s born. The baby is running out of room and apparently so am I. He frequently parks his little butt on my right side making my belly lopsided. That’s not necessarily so bad as long as he doesn’t play with my ribs as well. Most of the time he leaves the ribs alone and just hangs out on that side. His head, however, is a different story. Several times a day he will push out with his head, which I can feel mid stomach above my belly button. He seems to push out as hard as he can and it feels like I will soon be a part of the Aliens movies. My response to this is to rub the area and push back hoping that he’ll get the point and knock it off. Usually it works and I’m not worried that I’m going to be denting his head. We still have three months left. I can’t begin to imagine how cramped we’re both going to be!

My cat has apparently turned into a snake hunter. We let him go outside and play when the weather is nice. He loves being outside and so far has never brought us anything home. Yesterday my husband said he spent the majority of the day outside playing. When it was time to come in my husband said he ran towards the house with something in his mouth. Thankfully he didn’t let the cat just run into the house. Apparently the cat had caught a live snake and was running around carrying it. We will definitely need to make sure when he comes in he has no extra “toys” accompanying him.

We have an aquarium and about a month ago I bought some fish to replace some of the ones that didn’t make it through the winter. I bought a plecostamus and three pineapple swordtails. We ended up with a free zebra danio that had the misfortune of getting caught in the net at the fish store. Neither one of us minded since we already had a zebra danio in the tank. A week or so after my husband noticed a tiny baby swordtail in the tank and that one of the females looked thinner. We watched it for about half a minute before it seemed to get sucked up in the bubbles. Both of us thought it was long gone until last night. My husband noticed the baby, this time much larger hiding in the plants. Apparently he was smart enough to survive. It’s kind of exciting that we got two free fish from the pet store!

No comments: