Thursday, June 2, 2011

First Harvest

This is our first year to plant a vegetable garden.  I always had a million reasons why I never planted one previously.  Most of the reasons boiled down to me not having the time to put into vegetable gardening.  Now that we've started a vegetable garden, I can honestly say that excuse does not hold much validity anymore.

So far I have spent a relatively small amount of time pulling weeds, and an even smaller amount of time watering the garden since God has taken on that responsibility recently.  I also didn't spend time working the ground since we're testing out the Square Foot Gardening technique.  My nice husband built the boxes, lugged the soil and manure and prepped everything for me.  I bought plants.

In the early stages (a month ago) we planted two small gardens and hoped for the best.


A few weeks ago, Ryan added another box for me because I had too many seedlings sprouting and needed to thin them out.


Tonight, after all of the rain we've had lately the plants are looking lush.  I see signs of flowers on tomato and pepper plants, small squash forming, and broccoli sprouting.




It was also fun to cut and wash our first (and maybe only) batch of lettuce.  I'm already looking forward to using it.

No comments: