Sunday, July 26, 2009

Stay in There Little One

After 10-1/2 hours of sleep last night, I finally feel well enough to tell you about the end of the week.

Friday I took Aric to the grocery store in the morning, which wiped me out. I took a nap after I got back home and before I could consider putting away all of the groceries. In the afternoon, Aric and I made a quick trip to the hospital to visit a new baby. We didn't stay too long because Aric was busy climbing in the window sill, painting the hospital floor with water from his sippy cup and littering the room with goldfish crackers. I didn't even get a chance to hold the new baby, though, I know I'll have plenty of opportunities come November when I start watching this baby two days a week. We came back home and took another nap. I was still tired, but Ryan and I went to bed early and by Saturday morning I was feeling well.

Saturday (yesterday) morning I got up, took Aric to the sitter's house and went to work. Ryan was off to run a 10 mile race (he finished in 1 hour and 27 minutes, I'm very proud of him), I was only working half a day and then the two of us were going to go to Kansas City. Ryan had planned this trip for awhile, even secretly arranging Aric's daycare for the entire day instead of the half day that I originally scheduled. Ryan's plan was to take me to the Cheesecake Factory for my "last" meal. (I have my glucose test on July 30th and I'm 99% certain I'll be failing it and back on a diabetes diet.) Then we were going to go to Babies R Us to look for some things for Baby #2. I've been looking forward to this trip for awhile.

Not long after I arrived at work I got really, really hot. Then it felt like a bus had run into me. I was overwhelmingly exhausted, dizzy, unable to think clearly and the soreness that I had previously only felt on the left side where the abruption was had spread over to the right side. I had also started spotting again. I stayed at work for awhile trying to think logically, which is hard to do when you can't think clearly. I didn't want to just be a hysterical mess overreacting to everything. My coworkers thankfully took over, called Ryan to come and get me and told me to call the OB's office. The on-call Dr told me to go to the hospital.

Ryan took me to the Labor and Delivery ward and they hooked me up to the fetal monitor and ran some tests on me. We were there over four hours. The baby is doing well, but my body is taking the abruption really hard. I'm now taking baby aspirin daily to break up any possible clots and I'm supposed to rest even more. The on-call OB talked about bed rest, but we all decided that at this point I get more rest sitting at work than staying at home with a 1 year old. The baby needs to stay in as long as possible to give her the opportunity to grow and develop. I couldn't agree more, though, I'm faced with a long three months since my body is clearly not taking the abruption well.

Stay in there little one. You kick, hiccup and squirm as much as you want. I'll do what I can to ensure you can grow and develop as much as you need to. And let's make a deal, you stay in there until at least October, then you can arrive any day you want.

No comments: