Friday, July 10, 2009

Disgruntled Employee of the Month

I am a pretty patient person, but lately work is really trying my patience. For the past two months I have been working with two coworkers who do anything possible to leave for the day or get out of doing anything at work. I don't have a job where you can slack off. If you're slacking off at work someone else is having to work harder to make sure things are getting done. I seem to be the one who is having to do the extra work lately and, frankly, I'm getting really tired of it. I am counting down the days until August 2 when I am able to change shifts and work with some different people. In no way am I deluding myself that I will be problem free on the new shift. I am quite aware that new people will bring a new set of problems. I'm just hoping they will give me a break from the current problems that I am experiencing. However, I am already seeing some areas where I will have huge problems when I work the night shift.

I am supposed to work Thurs-Sun 6pm-4am. Kind of a terrible shift, I know, however it will eliminate the need for daycare and we're willing to try it out. Apparently my supervisor thinks that since I'm working this shift I can fill in on the occasional midnight shift (9:40pm-7:40am) for the holes they have due to other people's vacations. I don't mind the occasional switch, but any day they do that to me I'll be getting off work at 7:40 and have to be back at work at 6pm. Leaving me no time to do much more than sleep that day. They said they wouldn't abuse me, thankfully I'm not naive enough to have taken them at their word. In Aug I have to do that two days, Sept two days and Oct one day right before I'm about to give birth (I don't see that as occasional). What makes it worse is that I made it clear that I wouldn't be able to do that on a Sunday night because Ryan has to be at work on Monday morning at 6:30 and I wouldn't get off until 7:40 and we would have no where for Aric to go during that time. They scheduled me for a Sunday anyway. My supervisor said she would come in at 4am so I could leave that day. When I asked her about it on Wed, since it wasn't posted on the schedule, she told me she had things to do that day and wouldn't be able to work at 4am, meaning I have to stay until 7:40 and Ryan has to take leave for a couple of hours that morning.

I haven't even moved to that shift yet and they are messing around with my schedule. It's sad really because now I hate going to work and I used to like my job. Maybe they should quit wondering about the reasons for their high turnover rate and examine what they do to their employees.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, That is total crap. It would serve them right if you just quit.