Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Kitchen Part 2

I've been working on the kitchen for the kids over the last couple of weeks.  It's almost done, which is good, since it will be ready in time for Christmas.  More importantly it will free up some of my time to sort, pack and get things ready for our upcoming move. 

My parents gave me this kitchen one year for Christmas.  I have many fond memories of this kitchen and some not so fond memories.  My parents love to tell the story of how I would dip my cups into the pitcher of tea in the fridge so I would have some real "food" to play with.  When they told me not to play with the tea, I switched over to sugar.  They soon discovered that and told me to stay out of the sugar.  I moved on to toothpaste.  At their wits end, since I was obeying them and just being extremely creative, they enacted their most memorable punishment on me.  They threw a blanket over my kitchen, tied a rope around it and turned it to face the wall for two weeks (at least I think it was two weeks).  I vividly remember the kitchen facing the wall, wrapped in a blanket and rope.  Needless to say, I quit playing with all food and non-food items and occupied myself with my plastic play food.  While I hope my kids don't try to play with food items or toothpaste, I do hope they make many enjoyable memories with the kitchen.

Here is a sneak peek at how my project is progressing.  I have a couple of finishing touches to complete and then it should be ready.


No comments: