Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Self Destruct

When we were younger my brother, Rudy, loved to watch The Lion King. Every day after school he would insert the tape into the VCR and remain glued to the TV screen for the next 89 minutes. My brother, Ryan, and I were soon sick of watching the Lion King ad nauseum. Finally one day, Ryan, being quite devious, concocted a scheme to make the madness stop. He explained to Rudy that movies self destruct if they are watched 25 times. Rudy, horrified that the movie had already been viewed 24 times, never watched the tape again. Problem solved. (Actually I don't think any of us have watched The Lion King since.)

Fast forward to present day...

Aric received Toy Story 3 two weeks ago as a gift from Rudy. The other day my friend, Laura, was over for dinner. She was sitting at the table with Aric, who was watching Toy Story 3, yet again. At the scene where the toys are at the garbage dump facing their doom, Aric reached over to hold Laura's hand, just as the toys reached out to hold each other's hands. He then closed his eyes, mimicking the toys, and awaited their his impending doom.

That was the point when I realized Toy Story 3 needs to self-destruct.

1 comment:

Rudy said...

Considering that I bought Aric the version with the Blu-ray, DVD, plus the bonus digital copy, I think you are screwed...