Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fitness Challenge

Four years ago I was in amazing physical shape.  Five days a week before work I went to the gym to run and lift weights.  I felt good about myself and the body I achieved through my hard work.  Around that time I quit working out.  Flash forward four years and two babies later and I still feel good about myself even though I don't work out.  I didn't always feel that way.

After I had Aric, I was thrilled with my new baby, my new status as a mommy and not so thrilled with the way pregnancy had changed my body.  I had gone from having a girlish figure with a flat stomach to a womanly figure and that flat stomach had vanished completely from sight.  I was horrified with what I had left after pregnancy, but was unmotivated to change it.  I struggled with huge feelings of guilt if I did anything that kept me from spending time with Aric to include working out.  I work full time, after all, and that alone carries with it guilt and baggage.  In the midst of my struggles, I found out Kellyn was on her way and there was no need to get in shape.  My pregnancy with her was difficult and being on modified bed rest made me a sedentary creature.

After eighteen months of pregnancy and two kids, my body definitely shows the signs of bearing children.  And I'm okay with that.  I won't ever go back to having that girlish figure.  There are clothes in my closet that I may never fit into again.  I have stretch marks, wider hips, a gently curving belly and for the first time in my life I don't mind it.  I know my husband still loves me and I have two beautiful children who have changed me forever.

With that being said, I am not implying that I do not have a desire to work out, get back in shape and look my best.  With a full time job, two kids and a huge lack of sleep, it will be a challenge to get into a routine but I have an incentive.  Ryan proposed that we have a fitness challenge as an incentive for both of us to get into shape.  We each have specific fitness goals that we would like to achieve and a need to go on a fun vacation.  The winner of the challenge, which ends on Kellyn's first birthday, will get to decide where our vacation destination is.  I have an appointment this week to have a body composition test done.  In case you were wondering, I'm not looking forward to hearing what my BMI is or how out of shape I actually am.  However, I think this appointment will help me find out what a realistic fitness goal for me is and just maybe I'll be able to win the challenge.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!!
Jen