Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bumps in the Road

It seems like everytime I think things are running smoothly something happens and there are bumps in the road again.

Monday morning I took Aric to daycare at Ms. Autumn's house. It was his first time going back since our trip. When I pulled up to her house all of the lights were off. I immediately called work to tell them that I would be running late. Then I went to the front door and rang the doorbell. (Aric was still waiting in the car, since I didn't know how long it would take to wake her and it was chilly.) Thankfully it didn't take long to wake Autumn. She was genuinely embarrassed and sorry and I was only 40 seconds late to work. (Had I not called in, I would've been written up for being tardy. Good thing I called.)

This morning I dropped Aric off at Ms. Autumn's house again. (It's our first week with my new schedule of Thurs-Fri as my days off.) Autumn complained a little about waking up with allergies. I thought nothing of it and went to work. I was there about an hour when she called. I have now felt the terror that only a mother can feel when you think something is wrong with your child. It seemed like forever until she told me that she was sick and was closing her daycare for the day. I had to take a sick day at work and go pick Aric up. Frankly we've done nothing today but nap and play. It was kind of odd going home when we were both healthy and doing well. I did find someone to watch Aric tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that Ms. Autumn will not feel up to having children, and even if she is, I would rather Aric get as little exposure to whatever she has. I really would like to save my sick days.

Today made me realize that Ryan and I have done nothing lately with our friends. I hate feeling like the only time I call my friends is to ask for something. I really don't want to be THAT person. Today I've decided to make an effort to renew friendships and not be so much of a hermit. I'm sorry if I've been THAT person to you.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

I got your messages late in the afternoon today. Sorry I didn't get you called back. Just FYI...I don't think of you as THAT person at all...I DO think of you as an amazing gal who has her hands full, yet manages everything with such grace.