Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Hooray! The Ice Cream is Back.

It’s been a long week. I’ve spent the past seven days monitoring what I eat, worrying about needles and having to use little vials of insulin, trying to make sure I walk five minutes after every meal, stressing about the amount and type of food that I pack to take to work, over-pricking myself and trying to figure out the best way to get the right amount of blood for my glucose test, wistfully watching other people eat dessert and foods with sugar, giving up Blue Bell ice cream for terrible sugar-free ice cream bars, and lying in bed in the morning thinking I’ve really got to go to the bathroom but not wanting to go because then I’ll have to test my ketone levels and my glucose levels. I’ve had days where I’m completely fine and days where I’m depressed and frustrated because I’m eating healthy and my glucose levels are still high.

Today I met with the nutritionist again. She looked at my week’s worth of meals, exercise and glucose levels. I was waiting for her to tell me about what I was doing wrong and hear what I needed to change. It never happened. She actually said I was one of the healthier eaters she has ever seen come through the door. She didn’t know of anyone else who would eat half a cucumber for a snack. It was so helpful to talk with her and to learn more about what is considered a carb and how many I should be eating a day. She gave me a lengthier list of foods and taught me how to read nutrition labels. She also told me that I’m allowed to eat whatever ice cream I want I just need to realize that ½ cup equals 1 carb. I also learned that insulin is given in much simpler ways now than needles and vials, which is reassuring should I need to start taking it. I walked away from my appointment today feeling a little freer, a little more educated, and a little more optimistic about the next two and a half months.

No comments: