Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Long Holiday Weekends

Long holiday weekends at our house mean tackling projects on our to do list and spending too much money.  While our neighbors spent the entire weekend lounging in their backyard pool, Ryan and I painted, dug out and framed in the steps.  It was hard, hot work.  Ryan did much more of it than I did. 

Here's an aerial view of what Ryan accomplished this weekend.  He dug into our small hill and installed the frames for the steps.


This week we'll level out the dirt in each of the steps.  Next weekend we'll put in the sand and install the pavers in each of the steps.  Here's a glimpse of what it will look like with pavers.


It's hard work, but I think the end result will be worth it.  Especially when we put in landscaping around the steps and evenly stain the fence.  We have so much more work to do this summer!

I worked on painting outdoor furniture.  It will be nice to have it finished and provide us with some additional seating.


Don't worry, we had some fun, too.  We took the kids out for their first kayaking trip.  It was a windy morning when we took them out and lots of work for Ryan and I.  I had Kellyn with me, which made our experience quite interesting.  She wanted to help paddle, too, and spent most of the time leaning out the side of the kayak with her arm in the water.  I spent most of the time trying to paddle around her and compensate for her movements with my own.  Thankfully, we didn't tip over.


That is the only photo I have of the kids and the kayaks.  I didn't bring my camera or my phone along for photos.  Actually, I didn't bring anything that I would've been upset to lose if Kellyn had indeed flipped us over.

After all of that I'm kind of glad Ryan went back to work today.  Not saying that I don't enjoy having him home, but we can all rest a bit until next weekend when we finish the steps.

No comments: