Saturday, August 21, 2010

Broken

Disclaimer- This wasn't meant to point blame towards anyone.  It was meant to share about Aric's broken arm.  Ryan and I are completely aware that our child is "all boy" and then some.  In fact this morning he climbed up on a diaper pail to play with toothbrushes on the bathroom counter.  We fully realize this accident could've happened anywhere and would appreciate if others would not point blame either.

Yesterday after work, I headed to daycare to pick up the kids as usual, only to learn Aric had hurt himself sometime during the day.  No one has a clue as to what he was doing, either.  The kids were playing in a room, Autumn heard a commotion, Aric crying and said there was a crate in the center of it all.  Aric then spent the next few hours sitting on the couch watching Mickey Mouse and whining.

By the time I got home with the kids, I realized that something was indeed wrong with Aric's arm and made a doctor's appointment for him.  He was whiny, cradling his arm against his body and not using it for much of anything.  He also wouldn't let me look at it or touch it.  I piled the kids into the car and headed back into town.

Thankfully Laura watched Kellyn while Aric and I went to the doctor's office.  The doctor looked at his arm, decided that his hand and wrist were fine, but eventually discovered the problem was in his upper arm and shoulder area.  She sent us over to the hospital.  At this point I was extremely glad that Kellyn was not with us.  We waited almost 45 minutes to get into x-ray.

Did you know a two-year-old doesn't like x-rays?  Or at least mine doesn't.  I had to pin him down on the table and hold him still while they took x-rays of his arm.  It was quite the ordeal and the Cars stickers he was given were almost enough to make up for the experience.

We went home and waited to hear back from the doctor.  She called me at 9 to say she still hadn't heard from the radiologist and I should contact the pediatrician's office in the morning.  I did.

Aric fractured his upper humerus near his shoulder.  Instead of putting him in a cast I'm supposed to wrap his arm against his body with an ace bandage.  That might work well in theory, but doesn't work for very long when a squirmy two-year-old is involved.  On Tuesday morning we're supposed to go to the orthopedic surgeon to have his arm looked at further.  Hopefully there we'll find out more about the break and how long we're supposed to bind his arm.

It's going to be a long six weeks...

2 comments:

Carmen said...

Holy Cow! That is NOT something you need right now, eh? I hope it is a quick and "easy" recovery time! Good thing your mom is coming this week.

Kimberly said...

So sorry to hear this story! I hope that it heals quickly and easily and that God gives you grace as you do your best to immobilize Aric's arm...that is no easy task! :)