Saturday, October 13, 2007

Am I ready...?

I am finally at the end of my classroom training and about to begin my month long one-on-one phone training. It's so exciting to be at this point and yet so scary. I am glad to move on and finally be allowed to learn at my own pace. The classroom training has really gotten to me this week. I have been working extra hard and yet maybe not as hard as I needed to be to control my frustrations at my other fellow trainee. We had our second test on Wednesday night. It was originally scheduled for Tuesday night, but because we were a little behind it was pushed back. Tuesday night as we were leaving our trainer told us that we would review a bit the next night and then begin the test. By the time I came to work on Wednesday I was ready to sit down and take the exam. The other trainee was begging me not to tell our trainer that I was ready for the test. I think that was my turning point of being done with the classroom training and ready for the one-on-one training. All week I feel that I have been held back and not allowed to spread my wings.

Last night we started answering non-emergency calls. My first call was a woman wanting someone to check on a house that had 50 or so malnourished cats living at it. I called the animal warden and he yelled at me and said he didn’t believe it and wasn’t going to check on cats. It was an interesting way to start my 911 career. Thankfully the other calls were a little more routine. All I have to do now is figure out how to take calls, enter them into the computer like we were taught and do all of the other things that are asked of me. I think I’m ready but then next week will be a different story…

No comments: