Saturday, June 19, 2010

Polka-a-dot Boy and the Toothy Crab

Those are the not so secret superhero names I have bestowed on Aric and Kellyn this week.  Monday after the kids and I arrived home from work and daycare, I realized that Aric was covered in hives and had a temperature.  I wasn't too concerned especially since he had his two year checkup with the doctor scheduled for the next morning. 

On Tuesday morning he had a low-grade fever and the hives had transformed into a full-body rash.  He was a little lethargic, very compliant (which is my cue that he doesn't feel good), and took a rare morning nap.  The doctor diagnosed him as having a viral exanthem and said he wasn't contagious.  Which I took to be fancy doctor speak for I-have-no-idea-what-your-kid-has-but-I'm-not-going-to-treat-it-and-I'm-not-concerned-by-it.  We went home.  By that afternoon, Aric was feeling better but looked terrible.  The rash was from head to toe and very red.

On Wednesday I spoke with Autumn about Aric returning to daycare.  She agreed to take him as long as he had no fever.  In my conversation with her she mentioned one of the other kids at daycare had a rash, too.  Hmmm.  Contagious, anyone?

In addition, I've been dealing with Kellyn who has been quite crabby.  Ryan and I were trying to figure out if her incoming teeth were making her crabby or if she's just mad that she can't walk.  We seem to agree that it's a little of the former and a lot of the latter.  She fusses when she crawls and tries to pull herself up on everything in site.

On Thursday night I began to feel achy and not quite right with no rash, though. I also noticed red spots all over Kellyn.

Hmmm.  Contagious, anyone?

1 comment:

Cristen said...

Was that another genius diagnosis from Dr. Klingler? She told me when I had Julian in there not to give him Pedialyte because it worsens diarrhea. Someone please tell me then just what is the point of Pedialyte then?? I didn't give it, but I sometimes wonder if she just makes stuff up off the top of her head.