Friday, December 14, 2012

Things Heard Around Here

Kellyn: Can we open presents now?  I really want to see what's inside.

Me: No, it's not Christmas yet.

Kellyn: But the tree is up.

I remember when I was little and how long it seemed to take Christmas to come.  The presents under the tree and the anticipation of what was inside only added to the length of time.  Now, as a parent, I am witnessing this anticipation daily.  We have four advent calendars.  Yes, four, and still I am asked almost daily if it's time to open presents.

Since they are old enough this year to realize they will receive presents, we have been intentional in our talks with them about the reason for Christmas.  We want them to grow up knowing that Christmas isn't about what we unwrap, but it's about the birth of our savior and giving to others.

This weekend we are going to sort through all of their toys.  We have explained to the kids that they are blessed and have been given so much, but that there are other kids out there who don't have much.  They say they understand, but I'm sure there will be some problems when the time comes to part with their toys.  I'm willing to go through that, because I want to raise children with character.  I want them to look out for others and give where there is a need.

No comments: