Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Busy Bee

I have taken advantage of the time I've been given over the past month to recover.  For the first two weeks I didn't do too much.  I was laid up in bed, in pain, and really not feeling well.  For the past week I've been feeling a bit better and used the time to sew.  Ryan's work has been accommodating and he was able to take a considerable amount of time off to care of me and the kids while I recovered.  I finally got back into gear and have been consistently sewing.  Looking at my calendar I'm booked and unable to take any more custom orders until January.  It might work out and leave me some openings here and there, but I don't want to add too much more in and chain myself to a sewing machine.

Some of my recent projects include:

A laptop bag for a friend.


I had to increase the size of the bag to accommodate a laptop.  I plan to offer the bag, in it's original size, as a made to order item in January.  I have two orders for this bag in different color combinations to make next month.

Lots of diaper covers.


I can tell this is the time of year when people are having photos taken.  I have sold an insane amount of diaper covers over the last month.  I even had to get Ryan to take me on crutches to the fabric store to get more elastic.  I finally broke down and ordered elastic in bulk.  It's much handier to have around.

A diaper cover and tie set.


Insanely cute, but I did find it humorous to sew a tie for a one year old. This is for an upcoming photo shoot.  I'll offer this set as a made to order item in January.  Right now I just don't have the time to produce a mass quantity of neckties for babies.

A purse for myself.


It's not the best photo, but I really like the design of the purse and I enjoyed making it.  I'll add this as a made to order item in January.


Another wristlet order.


I redesigned my wristlets the other day and I really like the new style.  I was having some difficulty keeping the exterior pocket straight and large enough to hold an ID card.  I also discovered that I was chasing away some potential buyers because they were afraid the ID would slip out of the pocket.  I cobbled together a few ideas and made the pocket on the inside.  The ID is fully enclosed inside the wristlet and protected by the zipper.  I've made several now and I'm truly pleased with the way they are turning out.

Cross Body Bags.




They are padded and large enough to hold everything from an iPad to a Kindle.  They can also be used as a purse.  I enjoy making them, but I haven't had the time yet to make one for myself.

What else is on my sewing plate?  A craft show this Friday and Saturday. A crib skirt, bumper and curtain set, Christmas gifts, two bags, backpacks for the kids (another possible made to order item) and whatever else I can squeeze in there.

When I'm finished with my to do list I plan on working hard to make the kid's quilts.  I have the material and I really don't want to keep pushing them off.  It's well past time that I make and finish them.

No comments: