Friday, May 8, 2009

Reassurance

I had a normal checkup with my OB yesterday. It was reassuring to meet with him again and get some of my questions answered. He is still really optimistic that the abruption will heal itself and not be a problem for me or the baby. Apparently placental abruption happens to women frequently and the majority of them have no problems. The timing of it was good. If it happened earlier in the pregnancy I would've miscarried. If it happens later in the pregnancy it usually means emergency c-section.

I have another ultrasound scheduled in four weeks to check on the baby and how the abruption is healing. My OB said that I can come in weekly if I would like to use the dopplar to hear the baby's heartbeat in case I need reassurance that everything is alright. Have I mentioned how much I like my OB?

I am allowed to resume normal activities on Sunday if I haven't had any bleeding. I don't know that I'm going to be quite as ambitious as I had planned to be this summer. The gardening might get put on hold for another year. If that's what it takes to bring a healthy baby to full-term then I'll ignore them for another year.

And, should we choose to have more children, I'm not at risk to have this happen again. I get to start with a clean slate.

1 comment:

Cristen said...

I'm so glad your appointment went well and that you got some reassuring news! I like your OB too. Ask him if he's taking patients :)