Sunday, February 3, 2008

Lost Head

I have worked as a 911 dispatcher since mid-September. While my job can be extremely stressful, I really enjoy being able to help people out. That being said I am never sure what the day might bring when I wake up each morning and prepare to go to work.

Today was a typical day. There was a burglary from a burnt-down residence, a depressed woman who had cut herself to escape from the pain, and a vehicle rollover with an ejection. Intermingled in all of these were the usual car accidents, vandalized property, lost wallets and reckless drivers.

My craziest call of the day… Willie the Wildcat called me looking for his head. Willie the Wildcat is the Kansas State mascot (http://consider.k-state.edu/traditions/willie.htm). There are several Willie the Wildcats that appear at different events. The last event that Willie attended was the K-State vs KU men’s basketball game. After K-State miraculously won the game, Willie the Wildcat made his way down to Aggieville, the local bar district, and spent the night partying until his head was confiscated. Willie the Wildcat is not supposed to be in Aggieville to party, he’s only allowed in Aggieville for school approved events. Now I am not quite sure if K-State officials confiscated the head or whether it was confiscated by the police, or even K-State students. I knew from briefing the other day that the head was confiscated, but I never heard by who. Honestly it was quite amusing to talk with Willie the Wildcat who is looking for his head for an appearance tomorrow night. I honestly felt bad for the guy since he wasn’t even the one who lost the head, but I think it’s kind of funny that he’s trying to track down a head for tomorrow night. Sadly I couldn’t even help him since it was a Sunday and our lost property department is closed. I wish him the best in his search, though.

It does leave me wondering what tomorrow will bring…

No comments: