Friday, June 21, 2013

Quilt Blocks

I recently accepted a quilting challenge from one of my friends.  Although we do not live close by, we are working through two quilts together.  I am excited to be pushed and learn new sewing techniques.  The other bonus from this challenge is that I will have quilts made that can be used and eventually passed down in our family to future generations.

Last night I found myself with some free time after the kids went to bed.  It's been a stressful week with swim lessons and I needed to do something for me.  I decided to work on my blocks for this month.

One of them is the 2013 Mystery Block of the Month.  Starting this month I am mailed the instructions and materials to make a quilt block.  Next summer I will have enough quilt blocks to make a full size quilt.  The fun part of it is that I have no idea what the finished quilt will look like.  I know what fabric line the quilt is made from and that is about it.  It's kind of fun to not know, and not be pressured to make the quilt all at once.  The block didn't line up exactly, but it was a good learning experience for me.


The second quilt I am working on is a block of the month class on Craftsy.  This one is an online class, which is kind of nice.  I can watch someone else's techniques and learn from someone with more knowledge. I decided to make this quilt in black and white fabric that I had on hand.  I want to make this quilt using material I have rather than buying more.  I already have visions of using black and white gingham for the sashing between the squares. I had two squares to make for the first month.



Now I'll just have to hold myself back a bit and not try to finish the rest of the quilt in the next week.

No comments: