Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Biter

I'm not really sure if I should be thankful that neither one of my kids is a biter, or mad that one of my kids is being targeted by a biter. 

A week and a half ago as Autumn was helping me put the kids in their car seats after daycare, I looked down and noticed Kellyn had red marks on her arm in the shape of a mouth with teeth.  I asked Autumn about it and sure enough another little girl crawled up to Kellyn and bit her.  Twice.  Autumn told me she would talk to the girl's mom and make her aware of the situation. 

I didn't think any more of it.

Until I was sitting at dinner last night, looked over, and saw more bite marks on Kellyn's arm.  Three different sets of them.  The story I got from Autumn was Kellyn grabbed a shirt that the other girl was holding and in retaliation she bit Kellyn.  Autumn separated them, but in another incident the girl went over to where Kellyn was in a bouncer and bit her again.  That's the point where it goes too far.  No longer can it be chalked up to teething or Kellyn grabbing something that didn't belong to her.   That vicious little girl came up to Kellyn and bit her without provocation.  I'm not a happy camper.

I'm not mad at Autumn, it's not her fault the girl is a biter.  I'm angry at the mom, who isn't working with her child on biting.  The mom who didn't believe that her "sweet angel" could bite anyone when she was told about the first incident.  Her course of action- to read up on the Internet about what she can do.  Um, that won't work unless you work with your child and teach her to not bite.  Apparently the mom also offered to get our kids together to work on teaching her daughter to not bite.  Does she think I'm crazy?  Kellyn has been bitten enough, I'm not about to expose her to this other child more than she already is.

I think I'll go teach Aric how to defend his sister...

2 comments:

Rudy said...

I think I should have gotten Aric a plastic tee ball bat for his birthday...

Kimberly said...

Sorry to hear about the bites! That is disturbing to know that Kellyn is being "targeted". Praying for more peaceful interactions in the future!